We can Help with this! Waste to Charity can help you to set up a program, regardless of your size, the type of food you work with, and your location. We work with US Charities, food banks, as well as international NGO’s for food donations.
Work with the professionals: Let’s Make your Waste Make a difference!
Barriers to Donating Food
More than three-quarters (77 percent) of respondents indicated that there are barriers, either internal or external, that prevent their company from donating more unsaleable food. Table 9 outlines the specific types of barriers that companies face. The most common barrier highlighted by each sector is bolded.
Barriers to Donating Food:
The First Percentage is Retail and Manufacturing The Second Percentage is Wholesale
Transportation constraints: 63% 42%
Liability concerns: 50% 67%
Insufficient storage and refrigeration at food banks: 50% 50%
Regulatory constraints: 50% 17%
Insufficient on-site storage and refrigeration: 38% 33%
Some of the specific barriers cited by respondents are highlighted below, grouped into categories in order to best reflect the breadth of barriers:
Storage and transportation:
– Insufficient space and refrigeration at food banks – Lack of refrigerated trucks and drivers – Justifying cost of transportation and/or on-site holding areas
Liability and food safety:
– Ability to donate misformulated and semi-finished products – Chain of custody in case of recall – Concerns despite Good Samaritan protection
BSR | Analysis of U.S. Food Waste Among Food Manufacturers, Retailers, & Wholesalers 17
» Regulatory and external policy:
– Good food past saleable date – Limitations on what food banks will accept – Inability to donate private-label items without customer approval
– Decisions to limit write-off expenses at fiscal year-end – Justification of fair market value for unconventional donations – Tax-deduction risks
» Behavioral and internal policy:
– Company policies – Employee education – Internal resistance to change
Contact us- Let us change these limiting beliefs, concerns and issues. Work with the professionals: Let’s Make your Waste Make a difference-